POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more : Re: Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some musings about Motion blur, per-object post-processing, and more
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 8 Nov 2000 01:47:26
Message: <3a08f6fe@news.povray.org>
> > Why per-object?  Why not per-pigment or even per-color!  Much more
> > flexible, I think...
>
> Objects are on/off, it is there or it isn't, which means POV only has to
> decide whether or not to do a filter. Pigments can blend, which would be
> difficult get right, if it even makes sense. Even if something like this
It doesn't always need to make sense to be useful!

> is done, I think controlling it with the pigment would be a very bad
> idea...some kind of post_process_map texture element would be better.
Maybe...  Doesn't really matter where you put it, I think...

> As for colors...that would probably be useless in nearly all cases,
> since you may hit that same color somewhere in your image where you
> don't want that post process filter done, and once you do anything like
> fog, media, or anything that alters the appearance of an ambient 1
> texture, it will no longer be recognized.
No, that's not what I was trying to say :-)
Instead of telling POV to post-process all rgb <1,.5,.2> areas for instance,
'just' add a color-component, like rgbp <1,.5,.2,1>.

> Object controlled filters would be easier to use, lower in memory
> use(you only need one object map instead of a bunch of alpha maps),
> easier to code, and just make more sense.

I don't think it would make more sense.  If you want to save memory, or
don't really like the in-between values, you can always say that a
post_process_map value of 0 would be no post_processing, and a value
different of 0 would be full post_processing.
But doing it object-controlled would be a lot less flexible and useful than
per-color or per-pigment pp.
Example: say I'm modelling a big spaceship.  Instead of modelling each
window, I like to fake them with texture_maps.  To make things look more
realistic, each lit window should be glowing a bit.  With per-object pp, I
should really model the windows, which would render a lot slower and use
more memory than texture_maps, but it would be no problem with per-pigment
pp.

ZK
http://www.povplace.be.tf